[email protected]
Petition to ban the Snaring of Animals in Wales for the Fur Trade. To be
considered by the Environment Committee of the Welsh Assembly on Tuesday 13th
October 2020 on behalf of National Anti – Snaring Campaign
Further comments for consideration relating to the White Paper Agriculture (Wales) Bill
during sixth Senedd term: regulation of sale and use of snares in Wales:
The Code of Best Practice on the Use of Snares for Fox Control under Section 14 of the
Animal Welfare Act was introduced by the Welsh Parliament in 2015. Simon Wild
representing NASC addressed the Welsh Environment Committee prior to this and was
asking for a complete ban. A snared wild animal is protected as in the “control of man”
under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. Domestic animals are also protected. We believe
the committee were persuaded that the new GWCT snare would ensure “the suffering
could reasonably have been avoided or reduced”, as required by the Act and so agreed
new codes instead.
However, this was misguided for two reasons:
1) Anyone can buy snares online and go for the cheapest (usually Chinese
snares). No training or knowledge of the code is required. Many outlets sell
the cheaper snare in Wales and rest of UK. No policing takes place and no
one knows who has set a snare.
2) The new snare with stop, swivel and breaking point (although I defy any
Senedd member to break the weak point, no matter how hard the pull) was
proven by DEFRA, working with the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust to
cause significant injury and death to target and non-target animals. As many
badgers as foxes were caught during some of the testing sessions
BBC Wales, March 2020 showed David Smede, snaring foxes in Pembrokeshire National
Park and selling the pelts to the European fur trade

Cat caught in snare in Wales, April 2019

A cat owner whose pet went missing for two days has spoken of her shock at finding the
animal trapped in a wire snare normally set to catch badgers or foxes. Kate Lee, of
Talsarn, said her pet cat Gem was only spared a lingering death after her distraught
children came across her while carrying out a frantic search two fields away from their
smallholding. “Gem had last been seen at around 5pm on the Sunday and didn’t come
home that night,” she told the Cambrian News. “She then didn’t turn up for breakfast the
next morning which was very unusual.“When she still hadn’t turned up the following
day we went walking down the road to check whether she’d been run over and also
looked in vehicles and outbuildings in case she’d been locked in.“We have 23 acres here
and it was while going round our fields that the kids found her in the snare and we
eventually got her out by using a pair of wire cutters.“Poor Gem was very dehydrated
and while she let us carry her home she wouldn’t let us touch her after that because she
was so sore.“She also couldn’t walk properly with her hind legs and didn’t have
anything to eat for 24 hours. Even now, a few days later, she’s very tender around the
middle.“While I understand why people set these traps I think they should be set more
responsibly and checked every 24 hours. “When we went back to the snare four days
later it was still the same as when we had released Gem which means it hadn’t been
checked in all that time.“I dread to think what would have happened if the kids hadn’t
found her – she would still be out there.”
Badger found heavily entangled in snare
and barbed wire in Lampeter
Posted on 13/03/2018 by Gillian Hillan
A female badger has died after being found heavily entangled in a snare and barbed wire.
The adult female badger was found in the Lampeter area and was believed to have been trapped
for a few days.

Badger snare Lampeter
RSPCA animal collection officer (ACO) Ellie
West said: “The badger was very tangled up at the bottom of some fencing. There was no way
the badger could have escaped, but luckily I was able to cut all wire and take the badger
immediately to an independent vets.
“The badger was sedated and during the examination the vet found that the snare had become
totally embedded into her stomach. There was infection and was very swollen and sore and it is
likely that the badger had been there for at least three days.
“Sadly, to prevent further suffering the vet decided that the kindest thing to do was to put the
badger to sleep.
“This incident really does highlight the cruel and indiscriminate nature of snares.”
The device was not a self-locking snare, which are illegal, but it was not set in accordance with
the Welsh Government’s Code of Practice regarding snare use.”
8 Jan. 2020 Fox snared near Cardiff

RSPCA cardiiff snare January 2020

(note snare is old AB type)
Vale Wildlife Hospital post: RSPCA rescued a severely injured fox from a snare: The
fox had this snare wrapped around his hind limbs and abdomen – both back legs were
very swollen with significant bruising and will need careful monitoring for tissue
breakdown, a risk associated with this type of injury.
Report: Simon Wild, National Anti-Snaring Campaign