A heartbroken pet owner is warning others about hidden traps found on a popular dog walking spot.
Gigi, a three-year-old Miniature Dachshund, died after he got caught in a fox trap on land near Llandinam.
“I’m devastated. I can’t comprehend it,” his owner Julie Davies said.
“I would never have gone there had I known there were traps. I would have kept him on a lead.”
Mrs Davies took her two dogs for a normal Sunday walk on farmland adjacent to her home which she’s walked along for at least 12 years with full permission from the landowner.
Shortly after taking the dogs off their leads, Mrs Davies found Gigi locked in a trap.
“I raced back to the house to get the bolt cutters to free him. I tried my best to save him but I couldn’t save my baby,
“He had wires around his neck. I scratched my hand trying to free him from the snare.
“He didn’t have a chance.”
Julie Davies has now come forward to warn other pet owners to be aware of traps when going on a walk.
She’s angry that not enough has been done to warn the public about the dangers.
“Why didn’t they have the decency to say there were snares there?
“People should be aware that they’re hidden as I don’t want it to happen again.
“It could be a child who gets hurt.”
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokeswoman said the fox trap was legal and no criminal offence occurred.
Julie added: “I need to let the people know about the snares. I don’t want anyone to go through what I’ve gone through.
“The countryside is a beautiful place but it can be cruel.”