Your Stories - Snare Carnage
Often overlooked is the distress of the pet owners who have to deal with the aftermath of their pet being badly injured or killed by snares. Like many other organisations campaigning against the use and manufacture of snares, we receive regular harrowing accounts from pet owners. If your pet has been caught or injured in a snare contact us.
Suffolk: Rabbit snare kills cat
18 February 2009
"I think you should be aware that the use of rabbit snares seems to be increasing. My neighbour"s cat has just been killed by one of these barbaric traps. The poor thing, just 17 months old, tried to run home with the stake still attatched and the noose around its neck, but when trying to get through a hedge the stake got caught and the animal was strangled to death, leaving the family, devastated."
"My own cat was snared some months ago, but was able to get home, so that I could remove the thing from around her neck."
"I live in Suffolk, in a small farming community and strongly feel, these farmers need to be taken to task with regard to the use of these snares."
Highlands and Islands: Snared cat required 50 stitches
12 February 2009
"Our cat had been missing for 10 days, we were heartbroken and just when we were about to give up hope of ever seeing her again, she came back. After a few minutes of her arrival we noticed we noticed something very disturbing - she had a piece of wire wrapped right around her body, it had cut into her skin and she was in desperate pain. We immediately took her to the vets where she was given 50 stitches; the wire had cut through her flesh. At that time, four other cats in my neighbourhood had gone missing and I am now convinced they were victims of snares. They are barbaric devices."
Anglesey: Cat badly injured by snare
10 February 2009
After a couples cat went missing they conducted a lengthy search for her but were unable to find her. In the evening they took their dogs for a walk and thought they saw something moving rather clumsily along the lane in front but it quickly disappeared in the darkness. At 9pm the cat came in through the cat flap with a rabbit wire snare embedded in her. She was in absolute agony and screaming, eventually they managed to calm her sufficiently to make sure that the snare was able to come away from her body using wire cutters to cut through the snare and then gently remove the snare from her; it has obviously been very traumatic for her and at the moment they do not know if there is any lasting damage.
Norfolk: Cat killed by snare in Norwich
07 February 2009
An elderly couple found their lovely ginger cat dead in a fox snare close to a shooting estate today. Understandably both are very upset and angry about what has happened.
Tyne and Wear: Cat survives snare ordeal
02 February 2009
"My cat arrived home with the snare around her neck. I feel that the cats wouldn't travel more than half a mile radius from my home as when I call them, they come quite quickly. It alarms me to think that it could be closer to home than originally thought."
"The top left is what I thought was a snare. Its made from Barbed wire and there were two together which the RSPCA said weren't snares. The photos of the key...is a snare!! Betty had that tight around her neck. I put the Yale key there so that people can tell the size of it and how tight it got. As you can see, the left side of the snare snapped later after the vet examined it. The top right side of the snare is where betty had snapped it off but was still caught up in it. The wire is old and rusty and didn't free off. I had so much trouble. Wire cutters wouldn't cut through. The bend is where the mechanism had tightened to. The final photo is of Betty. I now have two cats missing, and just had an awful feeling they may have followed betty to the area where she played and got her self into trouble."
South Yorkshire: Cat trapped in rabbit snare
28 February 2008
A member of the public from Sheffield has kindly contacted us to inform us of the following incident:
My cat Tinker, went missing on Monday morning, 24th February 2008 and eventually made it home today, Wednesday, 26th at 12 noon. He had been caught in a snare and it was still around his stomach, he had bitten through the wires and made a very painful journey home.
He’s been to the vets and they have given him painkillers and antibiotics for the ulcers on his tongue caused by the wire and he is very dehydrated.
I am appalled that this practice exists, I thought it had been banned and although I don’t know the exact location of the snare that got Tinker, I am going to go for a good look around for them. I fully support your campaign.
The snare was brass in colour and four wires thick.